Diaspora

US has seen proof of life for some kidnapped missionaries in Haiti, official says – CNA

Asia
Asia
FILE PHOTO: Signs on the door of the Christian Aid Ministries give updates on the Haiti kidnapping and show the the offices are closed in Millersburg, Ohio, U.S. October 21, 2021. REUTERS/Aaron Josefczyk/File Photo
WASHINGTON: The US government has seen proof that at least some members of the group of American and Canadian missionaries kidnapped in Haiti last month are alive, according to a senior Biden administration official.
The official, who declined to be named, did not give further details.
US officials have been spearheading the efforts to safely retrieve the missionaries, who were on a trip organised by the Ohio-based Christian Aid Ministries.
The sixteen Americans and one Canadian, including five children, were abducted after visiting an orphanage.
Details about the law enforcement effort have been sparse since the Oct 16 attack. US President Joe Biden is being briefed daily on the law enforcement effort, officials have said.
Liszt Quitel, Haiti’s interior minister, and Chenald Augustin, a spokesman for the office of Prime Minister Ariel Henry, did not respond to requests for comment.
A Haitian man identifying himself as the leader of the 400 Mawozo gang believed by security officials to have conducted the kidnapping said in a video posted on YouTube last month that he was willing to kill “these Americans” if he did not get what he needed.
The missionaries were not present in the video.
Haitian officials have said the gang is demanding US$1 million per person ransom. The 400 Mawozo began as small-time local thieves and rose to become one of Haiti’s most feared gangs, controlling a swathe of territory east of the capital Port-au-Prince, according to security experts.
The incident has focused global attention on Haiti’s dire kidnapping problem, which has worsened amid economic and political crises and spiraling violence.
In July, President Jovenel Moise was assassinated and in September the prime minister dissolved the electoral council, postponing the planned November election. A new date has yet to be set.
The United States would like to see the country move toward elections but thinks more must be done to improve the security situation and internal dialogue first, the US official said.
This service is not intended for persons residing in the E.U. By clicking subscribe, I agree to receive news updates and promotional material from Mediacorp and Mediacorp's partners.
Copyright© Mediacorp 2021. Mediacorp Pte Ltd. All rights reserved.
We know it’s a hassle to switch browsers but we want your experience with CNA to be fast, secure and the best it can possibly be.
To continue, upgrade to a supported browser or, for the finest experience, download the mobile app.
Upgraded but still having issues? Contact us

source

What's your reaction?

Excited
0
Happy
0
In Love
0
Not Sure
0
Silly
0

You may also like

More in:Diaspora

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.