Good morning, neighbors! It’s me, Carlos Hernandez, your host of the Miami Daily — here to impart all the most important things happening locally. Including news on…
But first, today’s weather:
Mostly sunny and pleasant. High: 81 Low: 67.
Here are the top stories today in Miami:
1. The Miami Heat suffered a 115-111 loss on Saturday night to the San Antonio Spurs after scoring a win the game before against the Clippers. Miami will meet the Indiana Pacers on the road tonight to start a four-game road trip. (Hot Hot Hoops)
2. A Miami journalist is facing kidnapping and other criminal charges after authorities said she dragged her 88-year-old mother from her Miami-Dade home and had her involuntarily placed in an assisted living facility. Authorities said the journalist then financially exploited her mother out of hundreds of thousands of dollars. (NBC Miami)
3. Mindy Koch has been elected as the new head of the Palm Beach County Democratic Party by a 160-159 vote after Florida Democrats suffered a historic defeat in the recent November elections. Koch is a former teacher and has ran twice for the Florida Legislature. (Florida Politics)
4. One person died after a fiery crash on Sunday night in Miami, according to news reports. Miami police asked the public around 1 a.m. Sunday to avoid the area of 22nd Avenue near Southwest 16th Street due to a two-vehicle crash, according to a tweet from police. (CBS Miami)
5. Victoria’s Vinos y Vermuteria, a new Spanish vermous and natural wine in Coconut Grove, opened on Friday, Dec. 9. The venue can seat 25 guests and features Victorian design throughout the structure. Victoria’s is open from Wednesday through Sunday from 5 p.m. to close. (Eater Miami)
From our sponsor:
Today’s Miami Patch newsletter is brought to you in part by DeleteMe, the #1 Privacy Information Removal Service since 2010. DeleteMe makes it easy to remove your name, email, phone number and more from the web. Removing this personal information from data broker websites not only reduces your online footprint, it helps keep you and your family safe from scams, identity theft and personal harassment.
Keep your private life private. Remove your information from the web now. Click here to get started with DeleteMe.
Today in Miami:
From my notebook:
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
That’s it for today! I’ll see you around.
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Miami Daily? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.