Good morning, neighbors! It’s me, Carlos Hernandez, your host of the Miami Daily. Follow along to find out the most important things happening in town these days. In this issue, we’ll touch on…
Today is World Cotton Day. Cotton growth affects 28.67 million growers and millions of families around the planet.
But first, today’s weather:
Mostly sunny, breezy and nice. High: 86 Low: 75.
🏡 Attention, real estate pros in Miami! We’re now offering an exclusive sponsorship opportunity for an agent interested in attracting local clients and standing apart from the competition. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top stories in Miami today:
1. A South Florida student tragically died on Thursday after jumping off the third-story building at Fort Lauderdale High School. Fire rescue officials are calling the incident a suicide. Grief counselors will be on-campus this week and next week for students and staff. If you or someone you know needs help, call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255). (WSVN)
2. Broward County Public Schools is launching its own TikTok challenge to battle negative challenges. The school district held a “pep rally of positivity” at Flanagan High School on Monday morning to promote the initiative. Students are encouraged to use the hashtag #SchoolPrideAndPeace to create positive TikTok videos. (NBC Miami)
3. A 28-year-old man has been arrested on a second-degree murder charge by Miami Gardens police in a gas station shooting that happened on Aug. 16. The incident happened at the Marathon gas station, near the intersection of Northwest Second Avenue and 199th Street. (WPLG Local 10)
4. Deerwood Town Center, a grocery- centered shopping center located at 12095 SW 152nd St., has sold for $44.85 million to Clearwater-based Core Investment Management. Tenants in the center include Fresco y Más, Home Depot, and TD Bank. (Subscription: South Florida Business Journal)
5. Iconic Little Haiti music venue, Churchill’s, is on the market for $4.65 million. The venue has served as an important part of South Florida’s music scene since 1979. It was plagued with rumors of foreclosure and management problems for years. (Time Out Miami)
Patch deal of the day:
Wine lover alert. We found this amazing deal from Splash Wines — an 18-bottle curated selection of reds and whites for fall — for just $69.99. Shipping isn’t cheap at $39.95, but that still comes out to just over $6 per bottle. Splash Wines has a money-back guarantee if you don’t like the wine and 4.6 out of 5 rating on TrustPilot. So: recommended.
(The Patch Deals team scours the web for deals we think our subscribers will like. We may earn a commission on products purchased. All promotions are as of publication and could change.)
Today in Miami:
From my notebook:
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
That’s it for today. I’ll see you around!
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Miami Daily? Contact me at email@example.com
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.